[Amps] Fw: "Y" tubes - the real scoop

To: "Amps @ Contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fw: "Y" tubes - the real scoop
From: "Jim Tonne" <Tonne@Comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:00:24 -0400
Gents:

I made a comment several days ago that I had been told
decades ago while I was at Continental that Tom Yingst
was behind the "Y" series of tubes from Eimac.  It turns
out that I was being fed a story!  Two fellows who know
both the scoop and also Tom have replied to my off-list
inquiry.  Here are their replies, which I think are definitive:

-----

I have some info from the man himself, Tom Yingst.   He says that the Y
 designation got started sometime back as a notation for a standard tube
 modified for a particular customer's (OEM) requirements.   He does not
know
 if the Y stands for Yingst and my other sources indicate not.   I learned
 also from one of my other sources that YC meant California (San Carlos)
 built and YU meant Utah (Salt Lake) built.      gw

-----

 I agree the "Y" was a tube modified for a particular customer's (OEM)
 requirements.  In some cases they were just selected for parameters.
See this link: http://www.cpii.com/docs/datasheets/76/YC-236.pdf
In some cases we had a larger Anode cooler installed.
In some cases we had the filament changed to "Meshed" etc.
Ed

 -----

 I think these comments can be construed as
The Rest Of The Story!

- Jim WB6LD