[Amps] silver plate

To: Ham-amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] silver plate
From: Herzog <herzog@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:16:33 -0400
RE: Does anyone here have any before and after comparisons of silver
plating HF tank coils? It seems most of the commercial amateur amp
makers do it but I have never seen any specific data. All comments
appreciated.
Yes, but I do recall that at 30 MHz the difference was academic,
probably less than a few percent.  When wondering why so little
difference, it was that the skin effect of silver made it require about
.001 inch thick coating. and my findings were also as stated about the
color of the coper and it's oxides also mot making much difference.
   PS, in a separate test of every conductor I could fine to handle 100
amps at 30 MHz, the WORST conductor I could find was the tinned multi
strand braid, so famed for lightning work, or ham bonding.
Wondering why it burned up so fast, I concluded that it was eddy
currents.  I did not try Litz wire, as it was known to be best at 300
KHz, and not help above 5 MHz.  K 2 L B