Re: [Amps] High SWR was SB-1000 tuning question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] High SWR was SB-1000 tuning question
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:54:53 -0400
You are missing out on a lot by limiting yourself this way, because
the SB-220 is a great active antenna tuner.  I routinely use mine on
antennas cut for the low end of 80M up in what used to be called the
DX window at 3790-3800 KHz.  The indicated SWR is over 3 to 1 but so
long as the amplifier finds an output peak somewhere in the Load
capacitor range I just go with it.  My best antenna is 1:1 at one
point in 15 meters, but everything else ranges from a low of 1.2 to a
low of 1.5, depending on band - as for the high end of the range on
those bands .... don't even ask.

I think your math only tells part of the story.  According to TLW,
the ARRL's transmission line calculator, for 100 feet of RG-213 into
a 100 ohm resistive load at 3.5 MHz, SWR at the transmitter end is
1.88 (less than 2 because of line loss), the total loss is .43 dB,
and the additional loss due to SWR is .066 dB.  Losses are higher at
higher frequencies, of course, but still in roughly the same proportions.

The idea about large amounts of reflected power coming back down from
a high SWR and causing problems was debunked here years
ago.  Open-wire transmission lines are routinely run at very high
SWRs.  So long as they can be matched to your transmitter, that is
not a problem.

73, Pete N4ZR