[Amps] SWR & OPEN WIRE

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SWR & OPEN WIRE
From: "Mr. and Mrs. Magoo" <magoo@isp.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:25:43 -0400
Shortly after I was licensed in 1959 I built an 813 rig from the Handbook.
My antenna was a 65 ft flat top fed with 450 ohm open wire.  I had a very
crude antenna coupler and my "output indicator" was a fluoresecent tube
taped to the open wire.  I tuned the plate tank into the coupler and the
coupler into the antenna until the tube lit up.  The plate on the 813 glowed
cherry red key down....but I was too dumb to realize that it was probably
caused by driving the poor thing into a severe mismatch.

SWR?  What SWR?  It worked....I got out and worked all sorts of DX.  The 813
survived, nothing arced over and I was in ham heaven.  Moreover, the
neighbours never complained about TVI, telephone interference etc.

We have become too focused on SWR, IMHO.  Unless you run a BIG amp and are
worried about heating/arcing etc an "SWR reading" well above 3+:1 won't have
much effect as long as the amp can find a spot where it is "comfortable" and
you can tune for peak output/minimum plate current.

Bill, VE3NH