Re: [Amps] RL Calculations

To: philc@texascellnet.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RL Calculations
From: Jeff Blaine <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:37:33 +0800
Phil,

You hit on a key point here with the Q.  I also beleive the high-Q issue
is possibly overrated.

I realize the theoritical benefit to the higher Q.  But the losses
associated with high circulating currents are real as are the voltages.
A lower Q amp is easier to tune, and easier to stock with components.
And the power output will probably be higher at a lower Q.

My initial tank was setup with a Q=12 target.  But after having a lot of
problems with the thing, and seeing a comment from Orr about Q as low as
8, I changed it and never went back.  Night and day improvement in
stability and ease of use.

I had measured the 3rd order IMD and 2/3 order harmonics and could not
find any detectable change (within my resolution ability of about
+/-1db) with either tank.  That lead me to beleive that in my case
anyway, the signal purity benefits associated with a higher Q were
mitigated by other factors - probably in the construction of the amp
given the very limited space available.

73/jeff/ac0c