Re: [Amps] FL2100B questions

To: <romers@shaw.ca>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FL2100B questions
From: RAY FRIESS <rayfrijr@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 10:29:29 -0600

I would be trying some new tubes.

I use a TS 520 driving a 30L-1 linear, which isnt much different than what your
friend is doing, othe than the 30L-1 uses

four 811 tubes instead of 2 of the 572b tubes.   Other than that, the two amps
are about the same design.

You should not need an antenna tuner between a tube output rig (the 520 in this
case) and the input of the older amps.  The tube output transmitters have a
pi-network output, which is, essentially, the same thing as an antenna tuner.

I also have an FL2100B amp, which was not putting out its rated power and the
tuning controls were all off, as  you say yours is.  When I replaced the tubes
with known good ones, all the problems cleared up.   I am now getting 650 watts
out of the FL2100b, driving it with my TS 520 at 80 watts output.   The 520 is
rated for 100 watts out, but I know my original finals in my 520 are getting
along in age and could use replacing.  However, I have not replaced them
because I am still able to work what I hear bearfoot, and if I need the little
extra "umph" I turn on the 30L-1.   My fl2100b has not been placed inline yet
for regular service.

Ray  WA7ITZ