Re: [Amps] first time questions

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] first time questions
From: Jeff Blaine <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 22:25:37 -0500
Carl,

Righ you are.  Yet here it's hard to know in the case of these tubes.
They are pulse rated.  So what is the "proper" high voltage?  The GI7B
range could be argued to run between 1800-9KV.  Pretty big spread.

The ham application of these tubes, especially in RTTY type use (abuse?)
conditions is just about as far as you can get away from pulsed radar
duty.  I could not find a reliable source of data on the best operating
sweet spots - and with 10 suggestions from the community, I had 10
different answers - there is not much data-based rules of thumb on the
operating domain and implications.

In my case, I ended up using a variac arrangement that would let me move
the plate from 1500-3400v.  And it took a long time to work out the
"sweet" spot on the GI7b.  For the GS35, I think the similar thing would
be needed there.

These are more esoteric comments though.  Clarly the tube works and
works well, almost without regard to the B+.  Amazing well.

These old tubes would be a good PhD project for an EE student who knows
how to use the Tagucci DOE methods technique.

73/jeff/ac0c