Re: [Amps] Slightly OT: 250 degree panel meters

To: "'Radio WC6W'" <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Slightly OT: 250 degree panel meters
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 20:59:06 +0300
...I once took apart an old RPM meter for cars. What I saw there was a quite
regular movement: the difference was a triangularly shaped wedge, formed
into a circle instead of the regular solid core usually located inside the
moving coil. It works since the field intensity inside the magnet increases
along the wedge, so that it creates an increasing field beyond the usual 180
degrees. The principle was employed in the past on moving vane meters, with
the coil stationary.
This construction was more rugged, thus more suitable to vehicular use.
Alex   4Z5KS