Re: [Amps] AMERITRON AL-80B TUBE ARC / SPLATTER

To: "'Tony Brock-Fisher'" <barockteer@aol.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AMERITRON AL-80B TUBE ARC / SPLATTER
From: "Wynand" <zs6arf@telkomsa.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:33:11 +0200
Hello Tony,

Yes the arc is inside the tube.... as grid current increases with an
increase in RF the tube start to glow red and then suddenly blue arcs start
to flash quite symmetrically right at the bottom of the tube just above the
glass seal. This tube does not have a metal ring at the bottom.

Now even if the tube is bad, why do I still have not plate current at all,
as amplification do take place, at around 100mA and 20 watts drive I see
around 180 watts on the Bird?

73,

Wynand, ZS6ARF