[Amps] AL-1200 MO' Powah

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-1200 MO' Powah
From: "Tony Brock-Fisher" <barockteer@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:58:03 -0400
Incidentally, if you look up the old thread, you'll see that my original
question was how to get closer to legal limit out of my AL-1200 with 100W
drive. I think the problem was that my Peter Dahl transformer was miswound,
same as the one in the original QST review, and only made 3300V no load.

I added a ninth filter capacitor and bleeder, same as the originals, in series
to up the filter cap bank voltage rating to 4050V. Then I set the input side of
the transmformer on the low voltage tap. It now runs 3750V no load, 3300V full
load. Puts out full 1500W with 100W drive. Has lasted thru several contests
that way as well.

-Tony, K1KP