[Amps] RF Choke in Titan 425 Burned

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RF Choke in Titan 425 Burned
From: "Rich Hallman - N7TR" <rich@n7tr.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 18:50:02 -0700
I was on for IARU contest and noticed the tuning on the amp didn't seem
right....needed more drive to get to 1500 watts then the other 3 425's I
have.  Plus it seemed to run much more hotter than my other ones as
well.

When I was on 15 meters I started to notice a smell.  Shut the amp down
and pulled the cover off.  I noticed on the tube end of the RFC it was
pretty well burned up.  I also noticed bubbles on the coating of the
coil.

This is the Last series 425 made (Golden Series) and not sure if there
is something I should look at first before I replace the RFC?
Also...Should the RF Parts RFC-3 work ok as a replacement?

I haven't run this amp very much, so not sure if it had this issue in
the past or not.   My other 425's I run all the time and run very cool
and around 40-50 watts for full legal power.

Thanks...

Rich N7TR

ex KI3V, N3AMK, WB3JOV

www.n7tr.com <http://www.n7tr.com>