Re: [Amps] Grounded Grid(Screen) 4CX250B power gain

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grounded Grid(Screen) 4CX250B power gain
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:57:39 +0300
Yes, there was!
At the time it was one heck of a tube and you could get them as pullouts
from police and other commercial equipment for a song! It was then usual to
replace tubes at regular intervals, regardless of the operating hours. So,
pretty often they were real bargains.
Besides, at the time high μ triodes were rare and expensive, not, oh, so
linear! The 4-1000 had a reputation, well founded, of being quite linear in
this configuration. What's more we were loath to spend precious exciter
power in some input loading resistor so we relished transferring power to
the output.
Not to mention a cheaper and less complicated power supply!
Alex    4Z5KS