[Amps] BREAKING IN A 5CX1500A TUBE & HENRY 4K AFTER 13+ YEARS OF NONUSE

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] BREAKING IN A 5CX1500A TUBE & HENRY 4K AFTER 13+ YEARS OF NONUSE
From: "K6XN" <k6xn@att.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:29:39 -0700
Team, a friend of mine, Bob, K6YN, recently acquired a beautiful old HENRY
4K previously owned by W6OLO (silent key since 1996).  It has been sitting
dormant for at least thirteen years and we would like to get it back on the
air. We need advice and a procedure to carefully bring the amplifier and/or
the 5CX1500A tube slowly up to normal operating voltages with our 220V
variac. Someone told my friend that we needed to be very careful in how we
slowly brought up the voltage with our Variac in that the 5CX1500A tube
could be ruined among other things if we did not use extra special care
bringing up the voltage on the filament of the 5CX1500A. We are unable to
find any relevant info either in the users manual or on the internet for
doing this right. We do not want to ruin the 5CX1500A and we want to get
this beautiful old Henry 4K cleaned up, restored and back on the air again.
We do have a 220V Variac.  What do we need to be aware of? Please respond
directly to K6XN@ATT.NET and to bob.savage@comcast.net . Thanks again for
any helpful advice. 73, Ted, K6XN