Re: [Amps] TENTEC TITAN 425 price?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TENTEC TITAN 425 price?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:11:01 -0700
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:44:50 -0400, Mark Robinson wrote:

>Hi Budi,

>I think that the price depends upon the condition. There are several
>variations in the colour scheme of these amps. I have seen the price vary
>from $1500 to $2800. I just bought a Gold series version of this amp ( 1 of
>only 50 made) and the price was at the high end of this range but I was
>looking for an amp in top condition.

I own three of them, all bought used in good shape. I paid ZERO attention to
the finish, and would not have paid a nickel for gold. These are good amps,
fairly easy to work on, almost everything you might need is available at
reasonable cost. I consider $1,500 a fair price for one with good tubes and
working fine. I would not pay more than about $1,650 unless everything was
pristine and the tubes were brand new Eimacs.

The oldest 425 has a HV switch on the RF deck, while newer ones have the HV
switch on the power supply and have a QSK/VOX switch on the RF deck. That
older version is worth a bit less, because the QSK/VOX switching is quite
awkward, and because it cannot be used to get you up to 200W on 30M, while
the newer ones can. And that 3dB DOES help at times. :)

Note that I'm talking the original Titans, which carry the 425 model number.
There are Titan II and Titan III. Different amps, newer.

73,

Jim K9YC