Re: [Amps] Design VS parasitic

To: "kingwood" <k5jv@kingwoodcable.com>, "Amp Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Design VS parasitic
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:55:12 -0400
There will be virtually no difference in loaded Q of a suppressor using
silver plated ribbon or thin nichrome wire or anything in between. The 33-47
Ohm resistor is the Q controller.

Where nichrome has an edge is with multiple resonances and a single tuned
suppressor only controls one of them.

Multiple resonances can include the effect of the RF cage creating a basic
cavity resonator.

Deciphering it all really requires a spectrum analyzer and extensive amp
design experience in the real world.

Replacing RFC-2 with a 15-20 Ohm 25W real enamel wirewound (nicrome wire)
eliminates the problem caused by that chokes resonance a bit above the
3-500Z's parasitic resonance. Plus acts as a HV current limiter.

BTW, the strays have minimal effect on a parasitic. If you note, the
suppressor is before any LC circuitry. Tubes have their own built-in natural
parasitic resonance and if it is below the frequency of the tubes ability to
amplify it must be suppressed.

Carl
KM1H