Re: [Amps] Design VS parasitic

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Design VS parasitic
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:56:39 +0300
There is one.... A thing which doesn't show up here is the transit time
parameter: the time it takes from electrons to travel from the cathode grid
area to the anode. It's a few nanoseconds for common power tubes. At
frequencies where the transit time becomes an appreciable fraction of the
period time, all thing happen, including self sustained internal modes of
oscillation that have nothing to do with external components and everything
to do with internal strays. That also explains, at least in part, why they
are so constant. I call this "magnetron mode". One of the most effective
ways to impede it is to change the load characteristics drastically, like
from capacitive to inductive. That's what the suppressor does: instead of
seeing the input capacitor of the tank, the tube sees the inductance of the
suppressor in series with it.
As for the lossy suppressor: in the old Handbooks it was claimed that the
parasitic energy was developing a voltage across the suppressor and the
resistor's role was to dissipate the associated energy. Actually all it does
is to reduce the Q of the inductor.
So, it's back to what Carl says: cut it the old way, make it of the best
conducting material, de"Q" it with a real resistor and keep the degrees of
freedom the setup provides.
Alex    4Z5KS