Re: [Amps] 4CX1600U - too good to be true?

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "Amps reflector" <amps@contesting.com>, "RF Amps reflector" <rfamplifiers@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1600U - too good to be true?
From: "Roman Hanovych" <us5wdx@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:46:35 +0300
Hi Bill,

this nice small tube was built in few places in USSR (also in my town Lviv,
by Polyaron),
 but not in big quantities, so they were not so well known and popular among
HAMs.
Sockets unavailability (a bit problematic at least) was another reason for
that.
But few dozen people used them, mostly on VHF/UHF by retuning surpluss
commercial cavities
built on it (just like we do it here with GI-7B, GS-35b) quite succesfully,
with care taken (proper cooling, protection etc - too delicate grids) it can
produce plenty of power.
It was hard to get one due to its constant demand by commercial sector (like
TV broadcasters),
last 2 years much more of those rigs going surpluss so suddenly a few
hundred
of these tubes became easily available and prices fallen rapidly,
the Ebay price from the link mentioned is way too high compared to many
offerings spread locally here. How long this will remain is hard to say,
could be a matter of a few monthes after someone starting another
commercial project and buys most of available lots, just like it was with
GU-74, 84 and 78,
when they quickly transformed from a very popular among hundreds of local
HAMs
into almost a thing of a luxury in Ukraine (btw, there are still many of
them offered despite of all the
worries, this is because locals ignoring them now after compaired to the
salary of a middle Ivan :(  ).

Due to their age and price people try to avoid forcing them with too much HV
now
and stay below 3kV, when they were cheap 4kV was common :).
I am sure Google in english and cirillic can provide with many more info.

73, RG