Re: [Amps] power meters for HF/VHF

To: <jtml@vla.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] power meters for HF/VHF
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:54:15 -0500
Measuring power accurately is one of the most difficult things to do. There
are so many things that come into play.
I have a Boonton power meter that is the equivalent of the HP 436. Some
expensive fixed attenuators and some good step attenuators, and an HP 3586C
level meter that reads out in .01Db increments.
I built a coupling device to use with a good bird dummy load to try and
measure power.
I even have a 200 watt bird 30 Db attenuator that I have trouble determining
its exact attenuation.
I thought that if I could get 2 or 3 different methods of measuring to agree
with each other that I could get in the ball park on power measurements.
Trying to calibrate that stuff to get repeatable readings with different
references is a challenge. I don't think that I can come much closer than a
bird 43 meter, trying to measure at the 1kw level.

One of the problems is if an attenuators impedance happens to be of just a
little it will throw a kink in the measurements that is not easily realized.

Unless you send ALL of the equipment, including cables, to a good lab and
have it calibrated at the frequency you are trying to measure you might just
as well use a bird meter.

73
Gary  K4FMX