Re: [Amps] Chinese DIN connectors

To: ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Chinese DIN connectors
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:18:51 -0500

Ron Youvan wrote:
>> I would never buy a DIN connector with melting isolation while soldering.
>> Probably you bought something like 7/16, but not DIN.
>> All DIN connectors are Teflon isolated.
>> Try Spinner, Telegärtner, Huber & Suhner, Eupen, RFS or other European
>> vendors.
>>

>    It seems to me we are talking about two different kind of DIN connectors,
> one kind of DIN is a
> coaxial connector, the other is the round audio connectors used on some
> imported audio equipment.
> (and the PD/2 mouse and keyboard cables)

Even those are different.  There are a number of mini-Din connectors
that look "similar" to the standard din *except* they may have a
differing pin layout, number of pins, and different size keying. IOW the
power supplies for external hard drive enclosures may, or may not be
different than the ones used on the 897D. I have quite a few external
drives that I keep on the shelf for backups and there are two distinct
and non interchangeable mini-DIN connectors in use. Neither seem to fit
the 897D, but the Apple printer cable does.

Of course Yaesu uses the full size DIN connectors on nearly all of their
rigs except for the compact ones where they use them for external data
such as auto band switching an amp, but they use the same kind of
connector on a cable to the serial port on a computer. Unfortunately if
you use one to control your amp, you can't use one from the computer to
control the 897D.

Every commercial cable I've looked at uses the easily melted thermo
plastic insulator in the mini-din connectors.

73

Roger (K8RI)