Re: [Amps] Alternative cooling strategies for SB-220?

To: Bill W5WVO <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alternative cooling strategies for SB-220?
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:53:41 -0500

Bill W5WVO wrote:
> After reading all the suggestions (serious and otherwise), I am
> left with only one really appropriate and practical option: Leave
> it the way it is.
>
> (a) The tubes ARE graphite anode 3-500Zs, and (b) I do operate
> mostly WSJT digital modes, full carrier 30 seconds on/off, or in
> the case of EME, one minute on/off. So maximum cooling is
> required. I'm not comfortable with slowing down the fan given
> these two realities. I will just have to live with the noise.

You might want to look at 140mm computer fans.  Noise varies from a
whisper to sounding like a turboprop starting up. Surprisingly the
airflow is not proportional to the noise. The 140's are lower RPM, many
are 3 speed, and most move a lot of air. They are all 12VDC and much
quieter than the 120VAC variety.  I'm currently sitting within 3 feet of
12 of the things, and although quite audible they are no more noisy than
our forced air furnace/air conditioner.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090573%201372726540&name=140mm
These tend to run 1000 to 1500 RPM. I'm looking at one that delivers
63.5CFM @ <16dBA and another that delivers 27.2 - 47.8 CFM @ 18 to 22 dBA.

One multi speed the

      Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm Case Fan - Retail
      <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608017>
      has particularly good figures at:

    * *Air Flow:* Airflow: 64.96 CFM Airflow with L.N.A.: 49.29 CFM
      Airflow with U.L.N.A.: 41.93 CFM
    * *Noise Level:* Acoustical Noise: 19.6 dBA Acoustical Noise with
      L.N.A.: 13.2 dBA Acoustical Noise with U.L.N.A.: 10.1 dBA for
      about $30

On some of them you might want to disable the LEDs <:-)), but the one
above is just a multi speed, many blade fan.