Re: [Amps] Re GS-35B hours..

To: "Jack Parker" <vhfplus@gmail.com>, "Robert Briggs" <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re GS-35B hours..
From: "David H Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:47:58 -0500
    I concur with this 100%.  Each of my GS35bs had a variable transformer
on the primary side of the filament transformer and it has a profound effect
on performance.  I use test-points on my Fluke to determine the filament
voltage at the "socket" (really brass band clamps).  During peak line-load
times I have found drops as low as 11.9vdc (from the set 12.6-12.8v normal).
With fine adjustment the variac brings the voltage back to nominal range &
output increases to what it should be.  It also eliminates the need for a
filament soft-start.
    For setting it, I use the same procedure as the commercial guys use-
turn it up to max output & then down to a slight reduction, then just back
up to full-output.  It works- output goes back up to normal.  Though thus
far (since 2006) I have not yet "softened" a GS35b despite hard use, but I
also suspect it will buy a bit more output during a GS35b output decline.
After all, at 12.6V nominal at 2.6 amps, theere isn't a lot of wattage on
the filament of a tube capable of 1500W+ output.

    73 Dave N3DB