Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 Problem

Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 Problem
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:15:34 -0800
Apologies for hijacking the thread, but speaking of the Alpha 77 bias,
is there a preferred method for defeating the "active" part? I remember
seeing somewhere that some revs had a pot for adjusting it that could be
put at an extreme to continuously enable bias, but I don't believe
either of my 77's has that pot.

Why do it? Probably not a good reason, but I've been asked maybe 2000
times "Are you running VOX?" - I get tired of explaining how the active
bias circuit in my amplifier would make it seem so. Unless the cooling
system is otherwise inadequate, (and I don't believe it is) I'd rather
just be done with it.

Thanks,
Jim, N7CXI