Re: [Amps] Source GU-84B fil xfmr

To: Roy <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Source GU-84B fil xfmr
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:59:34 -0500

Roy wrote:
> FYI all,
>
> RFP part #F-41X for $9.95 each, is rated 26.5 volts @ 2 amps with 120 VAC on
> primary. I purchased two and connected primaries in series with secondaries
> in parallel. My 247 VAC line yields 26.96 volts for the pair with a 4 amp
> resistor load. I'm planning to convert my Titan-2 to a GU-84B. Any thoughts
> on whether or not an in-rush circuit needs to be used with this indirectly
> heated cathode tube?
I doubt a soft start would hurt anything. Operating current is 4A at
26.5 volts which might have an inrush current a bit on the high side.
I'm assuming Emtron uses a soft start on their GU-84B as they do with
the FU728F's.  IIRC the DX-3SP did use the GU-84B before they switched
to a pair of FU728F's and it uses a ramp up over about 5 seconds for the
FU728F's.  As they tend to standardize I'd bet they do the same with
their other amps. The DX-4SP still uses the GU84B (a pair of them) and
weighs in at 89Kg or 195.8# total in two boxes (power Supply is
separate.)  They do make a DX-5SP if you feel a safety margin is needed
when running digital, but you'll need 3 phase for that<:-))

The GU84 is also listed as a GU-84B/4CX-2500.  The GS-23B is the
4CX1600U equivalent IIRC.   It looks like it might be a good replacement
for the PL172 in the old Hallicrafters HT32 (A & B) with the exception
of the tube socket. (finding a real socket might be a problem) Of course
the voltages might need to be changed and the HT32 series is pretty
anemic when it comes to cooling. I've forgotten the Bias and screen
voltages present.
>  I read somewhere that the original 4CX1600B specs did
> not call for any in-rush protection. Thanks.

But the GU84B is quite a bit heftier than the 4CX1600B. Remember it's
the equivelant of a 4CX2500.

73

Roger (K8RI)