Re: [Amps] (Perhaps) A plate choke too far ...

To: Jim Thomson <Jim.thom@telus.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] (Perhaps) A plate choke too far ...
From: Radio WC6W <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:17:21 -0800 (PST)
Hi Jim,
  To my knowledge, rods are not made (as standard parts) in 43...  a few cable
cores could be stacked.

  Rod cores don't have anywhere near the effective mu of a toroid.  Because of
the open magnetic structure they're less susceptible to DC saturation.  I
haven't looked at the DC flux in a rod core since they can't match the
performance of the toroid in my original post.

  Looking at the Harris RF-110A, for instance, which uses a 115uH choke...

  Figuring the free air value of the coil dimensions results in a value around
20uH therefore, the core has an effective mu of around 6.

   This is a relatively low stress application for the choke as the plate load
impedance is only in the vicinity of 1000 ohms.  Significant RF current will
flow in this part down on 160.

   The task would be more difficult using a 4-1000A with 5KV on the plate & 5K
ohms plate impedance!  :-)

73 & Good morning,
  Marv WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/