Re: [Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages

To: "Rob Stampfli" <rob@cboh.org>, "Amps Listserve" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:05:06 -0000
I re-wired an amplifier heater circuit to an external current-limited
stabilised dc supply.  We had to fit larger heatsinks and more fans to keep
the supply cool and arrange for this to be switched with the amplifier's
main supply.  It also had a crowbar.

All this I thought necessary because of the large voltage fluctuations at
the farm where the station resided, where the load varied a great deal
during milking.  Removing the heater load from the main transformer allowed
it to run cooler and produce a higher voltage to the EHT which was less than
required.

The amplifier has not died in the several years of high use.

David
G3UNA