Re: [Amps] Amp panels - an alternative to silkscreening

To: k7fm <k7fm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp panels - an alternative to silkscreening
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:01:46 -0800
That might be an interesting alternative to try in situations where
black or at least very dark text would work.

Something I've been experimenting with lately is engraving - both
through the coating into the metal (mostly with aluminum, copper and
brass) and also through the top layer of the coating into a "substrate"
color layer. Both methods require a CNC router/mill which I happen to
have, but I suspect I'm not the only one these days. A machine suitable
for doing hobbyist engraving and milling isn't all THAT expensive,
especially compared to other aspects of the hobby.

The method I've read about but haven't tried yet is etching then
engraving the bare metal panel, coating it then using a lacquer stick to
fill the engraved characters/lines/logos. I saw that on a vintage radio
parts supplier's site, but so far it's only on my to-do list.
Intuitively it would seem that the coating would tend to fill and blur
the engraved lines, but the sample photos I saw actually looked pretty good.

Of course all of the above require a heavy transparent (or tinted, if
lacquer) fixing coat once all the fancy work is done.

"Just say no to screening" :-)

73,
Jim, N7CXI