Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build..

To: dezrat1242@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build..
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 01:39:27 -0500
I agree with a lot of what you say and in general, most of it.

Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> There is one primary question a person should ask themselves when
> thinking of getting their first amp:
>
> Do I really want to BUILD an amplifier or do I just want to HAVE an
> amplifier?

They are, or can be one of the simplest projects.
> Despite what you might think, it is actually cheaper to buy a
> commercial amplifier than to homebrew.
Generally yes, but not always.  There are a lot of "it all depends"
>  I know that sounds like heresy
> to the dedicated homebrewer, but I believe it is true when everything
> is taken into account.
>
> For example, if you purchase all brand new parts, you lose right off
> the bat.
Welll... that's true for parts to a point.
> Manufacturers can buy parts cheaper than an individual can.

True
> Just the cost of shipping all those parts one by one will kill you.

That's part of the key in reducing costs. coordination and planning.
> Second, you will not believe how many hours you will spend just
> collecting the parts.
You should try building a high performance airplane<:-))
Again, you can greatly reduce the time by planning just as we do project
planning in industry.  I say that as I was a Project manager
>  Third, you will not believe how many hours you
> spend actually building and testing the amplifier. Manufacturers have
> the advantage here,  unless you count your time as free.

True again.
> And finally, a commercial amp will have considerable resale value if
> it is a quality amp to begin with. If you ever try to sell your
> homebrew, you will be lucky if you get back a fraction of the cost of
> parts, never mind the value of your labor.

Again, true but we are talking about the cost of building.
> But in spite of all that, there is a powerful satisfaction in
> homebrewing and that may outweigh all the other factors. It certainly
> did for me and every time I look at my beautiful homebrew amp sitting
> on my desk, I know it was all worth it.

You also have to remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder<:-))
> Your call.

Me, there are amps I can't purchase such as legal limit amps for 2-meters.
Importing amps is also expensive as the shipping can be as high for a
legal limit amp as some entry level amps.

But, by picking older, less expensive tubes like 813's, 811's, or even
833's (really odd looking tube with both the plate and grid on top)
learning how to roll your own coils, being flexible in transformer
design even if purchasing new and you can build a 1500 watt output amp
for maybe a single band or a couple of bands on a relatively tight
budget.  No, you'll never get back what you have in it, or quite likely
not even the cost of new tubes, but it would not have been terribly
expensive to build. Most likely the results wouldn't have been real
pretty either.

If willing to settle for some of the surplus, imported tubes you might
be able to build the "Kalifornia Kilowatt" at maybe half the cost of a
new amp of that power. You won't have all the protective circuitry and
it won't be pretty, but it'll durn near tie a knot in your coax.

OTOH I'm too fussy.I want my construction, including the panel to look
like a commercial amp.  I haven't seen a home brew amp that didn't look
like an amp even when faithfully copying the designs in the hand book.
Even as they are in the book they still look like home brew so to me a
used one would make a good source for parts.

But I agree with you Bill that the vast majority of amps take far too
long to build and all new parts purchased here and there will cost
nearly as much or more than a new commercial amp using the same tube or
tube.

73

Roger (K8RI)