[Amps] Fleamarkets

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fleamarkets
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 01:28:22 -0800
From: Dave White <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] why did Heath die?

What did surprise me was that when I bought a couple of large vacuum variable
capacitors on the fleamarket at Dayton and was carrying them around and back to
the car, I lost count of the number of guys with extra class callsign badges
who asked me what they were.  Is there a message in there somewhere?

Dave G0OIL

##  That is a sad state of affairs, to say the least.

##  I attended a hamfest locally, here a few years ago with a buddy.   One old
geezer had a table set up with parts galore... like box's full of groth turns
counters, military  knobs  I haven't seen in years, [ identical to the furled
knob on the goth]... loads of glazed ceramic stand off,  air variables etc,
etc. He had no taker's...so I cleaned up there.   If that had been back in
1972, he would have sold out in 2 hrs flat.

##  The kicker was,  I had my Eimac  T shirt on  [7" diam Eimac logo.. like u
see on the sides of old yellow Eimac box's, that had glass  3-500z's  4-1000's
etc]     There was an easy 200  hams there, and not one comment  from anyone.
A  few fellows wanted to know what a turns counter was.  A buddy of mine
snagged  a NIB  4CX-1500B, new socket, and new fil xfmr..dirt cheap.   Most of
the hams  had never seen a tube before !   The only other thing I was asked
was... 'do u monitor 34/94'.. and did I have  a 440 mhz  xcvr ?   I politely
told the fellow that I tossed both my new 2m hand held's into my junk box yrs
ago.. along with the mating 100 w   [new, still in the box] 2M amp.   95% of
these folks were VHF ops.  Some had the audacity to ask  my buddy.. " why mess
with HF, why not use the...internet" !

##  back in the early to mid 90's.... 2m packet  was all the rage.   Once dsl
/cable modems came into vogue, the 2m packet boys left ham radio en masse.
1100 hams in my town.. and just a handful on HF.  [5-8 tops]

later.... Jim  VE7RF