[Amps] Converting a 76A to a pair of 3CX800's

To: "amps@contesting.com >> Amps Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Converting a 76A to a pair of 3CX800's
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:59:40 -0500
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I need a 3CX400. If I don't find one
I'm considering  converting to a pair of 3CX-800's which I already
have.  Although I'd have to replace the transformer as the one in there
is a bit on the light side and there is little room for a filament
transformer. That's notably less than the cost of a new tube. The
conversion looks straight forward and quite simple as the new
transformer has the proper filament voltage (IOW it's a drop in
replacement with the filament winding for the 3CX-800's) ...BUT, when I
look at the transformer with a 1900 VAC RMS winding into a full wave
bridge and then at that stack of 6 450 V caps it looks a bit marginal.
IOW 1900 X 1.414 - 2686 volts out of the bridge while 6 X 450 = 2700 V
for the capacitor ratings. If I figured that correctly that's a whole 14
volts to spare if all the caps are at least 450 volts.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

73

Roger (K8RI)