Re: [Amps] L-4PS Transformer Buzz

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] L-4PS Transformer Buzz
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:49:33 -0800
On 2/15/2010 10:05 AM, Carl wrote:
> Could be a bad cap, one installed wrong (it will blow eventually but
> it will get real warm first), missing, miswired or bad equalizing
> resistor.
> The transformer is trying to tell you to stop!
>
> Carl
> KM1H

Carl/Dick, et al.

I triple checked the polarity of the caps before I put the cover on the
PS and they are installed properly. Also, I didn't see any swelling or
smell anything from the PWB after I fired up the supply, but I'll pull
the lid off and take a closer look.

Regarding Dick K5AND's suggestion, the transformer is held is 8 places.
4 bolts on the bottom, and 4 on the top. I had the bolts on the top out
to replace the 50Kohm x 50W power resistors used to derive the cutoff
bias. That may have changed the mechanical pre-load on the transformer.
Maybe I'll let the PS warm up and then loosen and re-tighten those bolts
to see if that helps.

Thanks,

Mike W4EF...........