[Amps] 4cx800a

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 4cx800a
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:44:41 -0800
Let me throw my experience(s) into this.  Not God's word, just my own personal
experience.

Svetlana made the GU-74B (I don't want to fuss with Cyrillic letters here)
which was
used in some commercially built amps.  Svetlana USA offered the tube as a
4CX800A, not 4CX800, not 4CX800A7.  I used a 4CX800A in my Dentron MLA-
2500B conversion (QST, May 1996).  I may still have a tube or two around.  I
have
the data sheet (Svetlana) for the 4CX800A which has been posted on :

http://www.g8wrb.org/tetrodes/

Since Svetlana USA got out of the business, and the Svetlana (St. Petersburg)
quit
making them, the 4CX1600B (which I also used in an amplifier.  See ARRL
handbooks 1999-2004.  Since publication, the 4CX1600B is unobtanium.  The
4CX800A may have the same status.  There are a few (fewer and fewer!) GU-74B's
around, and prices are climbing.

Moral:  if K6GT wrote about it, it's about to become extinct!

73,

 George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 2-3, 2010