Re: [Amps] Design of 2-meter strip lines or parallel lines

To: sub1@rogerhalstead.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Design of 2-meter strip lines or parallel lines
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:04:28 EST
Hi Roger, I share your pain with 8877 prices these days. In fact, if any of
 my amplifiers using this tube looses a tube it will be rebuilt for one of
the  Russian tubes.

If you want a low profile 2m amplifier the best choice would be like the
old 4CX250B designs using a pair of tubes in push pull. They were quite
compact.  A more capable tube like the 4CX400 or 800 will get the power right
up
there.  The 3CX800 is also a good choice but you are back to the big $$
unless you have  a source for good pulls. Thestripline design (biting my tongue
here) would also  be a compact approach and could easily be implemented with
a pair of small tubes  or a single tube like 4CX1600U.

I am very familiar with the coax based 4CX1600U (also known as GS23B) as I
run one on 70cm. That amplifier will deliver over 2400 watts in cw or ssb
for  hours with no problem. I can imagine how a pair of these tubes might
play.

The comment about higher plate current/lower plate voltage was meant
primarily for 70cm operation. The principle applies to 2m but the problem is
many times less severe there.

I have a couple of acquaintances that converted the old two tube repeater
amplifiers to high power by using a pair of 8877's to replace the smaller
tubes.  If I recall correctly, they would easily output 4 to 5 kw; a lot more
than I  need.

The push pull circuits are effective on 2m as are the coaxial resonators
like the W6PO unit and even the striplines are not that bad. Most of the
stripline shortcomings show up on 70cm and to a lesser extent 135cm.

The GS35 is a popular 2m tube with the home builders. They are tough, cheap
 and readily available. They are not a low profile tube though.

Please let me know if I can help or if you need a pep talk.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 2/12/2010 3:30:32 P.M. Central Standard Time,
sub1@rogerhalstead.com writes:

TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> Roger, I have built my share of  VHF, UHF and Microwave amplifiers
> through the years. In the process,  I have learned a lot about how they
> work and will share a few  "secrets" with you.
I've build quite a few amps for HF, but that's a  different world.

> The book you are looking for does not  exist. You are left with three
IIRC that is a rather boxy cabinet and  changing the cabinet/enclosure
changes the amps performance.  That  and I'm not real fond of the 8877.
Besides, they are very expensive and I  have no source for pulls.  OTOH
the last Ei mac 8877's I purchased  new cost me $305.  I had hopped to
build something that will match my  low band amp in size and shape, which
is not exactly small, but it's still  a desk top even if it does weigh
over  100#. <:-))
>  2>wing it on your own and be prepared for some cut and try (that is
> how the known good designs were developed) or 3> buy a new or used  unit.
I already have a Henry 2002A that I need to get on the bench and test  as
I've already committed to sell. That uses a single 3CX-800. What I want
is the legal limit, but I was thinking of either a pair of 3CPX800's
which would probably be better than a single one, or a design to use a
pair of the GS-23B's with relatively high current and low voltage. (It's
really a 4CX1600u but with coaxial connections instead of  pins)

> You ask: why can't I just design the amplifier?  The reason is that the
> internal inductive reactance of every tube  model is different and get
> this: the inductive reactance changes with  frequency. As the inductive
> reactance rises with frequency, the  capacitive reactance between tube
> elements lowers with frequency.  There is even a frequency that the two
> reactances are equal and look  like a short circuit. Above that
> frequency the reactance between the  tube elements turn inductive
> instead of capacitive. This is at the  tube connection points, the
> capacitance is still there  internally.
>
> The tube manufacturers for some reason have  never characterized the
> internals of the tubes to allow us to  accurately predict the
> inductance at various amateur frequencies. One  of the reasons may be
> because the tube internal connections become  part of the resonant
> circuits. If your plate resonator is a stripline  the Zo of the line is
> very different compared to a coaxial or  waveguide design.
>
> At HF, the variation of this  reactance is not as severe and we can use
> the input and output  capacitance and be close enough for matching
> network designs. Not so  at VHF and UHF. Even a small 15 pF capacitor
> has the same problem.  For example, one with .25" leads has enough
> series inductance to make  the 15 pF work as if it were 1000 pF or so.
> With longer leads, it is  no longer a capacitor for the frequency of
> interest but looks like an  inductor.
With this I'm familiar.

> At these  frequencies, you do not get to choose loaded Q as one might
> wish to  deal with various plate load impedance variations caused by
> changing  the plate voltage or current. You have take what you get as
> the  loaded Q can be 60 to 100 or more at 70cm. Even on 2m typical
> loaded  Q can be 20 to 30.
and 2-meters is my target. 440 is out of bounds as our  power limit here
is only 50 watts out of the rig.
> There is little  you can do to lower these numbers other than using
> good common sense:  minimize any shunt capacitance, use the highest
> quality resonator  design (strip lines are not the best),
What is better for 2-meters.
>  Use the lowest plate load impedance possible with the tube you have
>  (maximum plate current, less than maximum voltage).
That sounds like a pair  of tubes would be better than one of the same type.
> And finally, pay  attention to rf current flow in the plate resonator.
> If a strip line  is used, nearly all of the current flows on one side
> of the tube  anode. There is that inductance mentioned above and every
> inductor  has a given Qu and resulting loss resistance. If most of the
> current  is flowing on 1/3 of the tube plate connection, there is 3X
> current  compared to an optimum design. Losses being related to current
>  squared, they are 9X-2 or 7 times an optimum design. These losses are
>  subtracted from your output power and can damage the tube or
>  fingerstock. Also, in some tubes, such as GS23B, the material being
>  heated by the losses will change dimensions enough that the resonant
>  frequency drops. With the loaded Q being so high, it takes a few
>  seconds for the power output to drop to half or less. Of coarse you
>  can keep one hand on the plate tuning control and bring it back but
>  who wants to do that? These problems go away with a circular resonator
> design.

Circular resonator design on 2-meters in a  desktop cabinet of reasonable
size?
> Did I mention that I am down  on stripline designs?
>
> By now, you have found the ND2X  website with all of the various
> Russian tube designs.
Yes,
>  There is a wealth of information there and most of it is good. A few
>  of the published designs by YU1AW are from computer models and do not
>  work in practice. Beware of any designs designated "lazy builder".
I was  wondering about those as they just didn't look right.
> I recently  helped W9IIX with a GS35 222 MHz amplifier project started
> from the  YU1AW info and it was a ball of flames at turn on.
>
> I  will be happy to critique any design you might wish to try. In fact,
>  I will offer unending moral support for your VHF or UHF amplifier
>  projects.
What? and here I was hoping for monetary support as  well<:-))

What about the design used in the old repeater amps with  two tubes in
push pull and parallel lines?

73

Roger (K8RI)