Re: [Amps] 120 cycle hum from Henry 2K-4

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 120 cycle hum from Henry 2K-4
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 01:07:27 +0000
> The Henry has full-wave bridge rectifier then uses an 8 Henry (700ma)
> filter choke with an oil filled .1mf (7500v) in parallel then an oil
> filled 20mf (5000v) cap to ground.

> I've been told those oil filled caps rarely go bad and usually last
> longer than we do.  Any clues where I should be looking to solve this
> hum problem?  Of course it's not really noticeable on SSB but I'm sure
> it's in there as well.

   The 8 Henry filter choke with an oil filled .1mFd in parallel then an oil
filled 20mFd cap to
ground is a tuned filter, tuned to 120 Hz.  If you truly have 60 Hz hum, you
have a diode open in
one of the arms of the bridge rectifier.    If you truly have 120 Hz hum, you
have a "detuned
filter" possibly the oil filled 20mFd cap has changed value.  Check the values
of both caps first.
   With this, like all power supplies the HUM sounds greater with a higher
current draw, from the
supply.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - He who attacks the fundamentals of the American broadcasting
industry