Re: [Amps] Re GI-7B Triodes..

To: "Robert Briggs" <vk3zl@bigpond.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re GI-7B Triodes..
From: "Jeff Blaine AC0C" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:45:16 -0600
Bob,

The tube temps can be measured reasonably well with an IR thermometer.  Hot
spots too look for are on the center of the ceramic body and the junction
with the anode.  The datasheet lists max temps on both (If I remember
correctly, it's about 200C/150C for the two).

You are right - a big cooler swap out can make a huge difference.  For SSB
or fast CW, it's not a huge concern.  But for RTTY, the cooling method
including the anode spreaders is job #1.

There is a picture of my amp in operation photographed with a thermal IR
imager (a very very cool toy) on my QRZ.COM page.  Love that gadget - wish I
had one for my own!

73/jeff/ac0c