Re: [Amps] Solid state relays and step start

To: Mike Saculla <fqm@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid state relays and step start
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 02:29:04 -0500
Many years of working with the things I agree ... mostly.  Although they
normally fail shorted, they do occasionally fail "leaky" in a mode from
low to high resistance, but rarely open. Not never, but rarely.
So, it's bad enough to have them fail shorted, but then a small
percentage will leave you guessing.
If they fail other than shorted and under load it can get real smelly in
there.  OTOH they can fail with enough resistance that the circuit won't
work, but is quite capable of electrocuting you.

73

Roger (K8RI)