[Amps] GI7B Question-Input matching

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] GI7B Question-Input matching
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:13:18 -0700
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:58:27 +1300
From: ZL2AAA <zl2aaa@paradise.net.nz>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GI7B Question - Input Matching

I think you will find it's nearer 35ohms.Morrie

> I have been reading about the GI-7B Russian made tube.  It seems that the
> input impedance of two tubes is around 100 ohms.  Could you not just use a
> 2:1 transformer to make a match from 50 ohms to 100 ohms?  What am I
> missing here.
>
> Lee - K0WA

##  it  won't work anyway.  The purpose of the PI tuned input is to provide
flywheel action.. as well as Z matching.    The tube only conducts for aprx 210
deg,
NOT  360 deg.  When u drive the cathode POS, you are driving the grid NEG,
and the tube doesn't conduct at all !   The tube can't source anything, it can
only
sink current.

##  Put a scope on the cathode, and you will clearly see the non linear
distortion
[no tuned input,  or a 2:1 xfmr]   IMD goes to hell.  Plus it's harder to drive
the amp.

##  The  PI net, tuned input..  [the C2 cap.. closest to cathode],  will look
like a
LOW Z  to harmonics. [then the tank eff  goes  way up] .  Ideally, you want the
C2
cap as close as you can practically get to the cathode.   IF the cathode Z is
very close
to 50 ohms,  you can easily  get away with   50 ohm coax between C2 cap... and
the
cathode.  You can also parallel 2 x 70 ohm cables  to make  35 ohm coax, or 2 x
75
ohm cables  to make 37 ohm coax..or 2 x 50 ohm cables  to make  25 ohm coax.

## Henry radio, et all, tried the xfmr approach, with disastrous results.

Jim  VE7RF