Re: [Amps] OT the 50 cent-ers

To: "Charles Harpole" <k4vud@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] OT the 50 cent-ers
From: "Jeff Blaine AC0C" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 03:31:34 -0500
Charlie,

Not sure what's this have to do with amps, but it's an interesting subject.
I lived in China for about 6 years from 1999 onward and have been traveling
there on business for, I guess 20 something years now.

So those trying to figure out what your actual message is  may be interested
to know that the average wage of a young educated factory person is in the
$300/mo range.  Range varies hugely on circumstance and skill.

The further you go from population centers, the faster the labor rate drops
and the greater the unemployment in the older citizen (comrad?) base
becomes.  Wage inflation is rapid in China, especially in the larger
population centers where the historic free trade zones (Shenzhen and
Shanghai, primarly) but it's spread to all the other populated areas.  China
has a gigantic population of young workers and a massive educational
program.

In this context, USD $0.50/message seems quite a good deal.  Over pay, in
the circumstances.  So I am going to assume that the qualification for this
job is to be a good speaker in a language other than Chinese.   Or, the pay
may be in RMB which runs about 7 Yuan/USD now.  Which would be around $0.15
USD.

China is a land of contradictions.  Home of one of the worst in Mao
(directly or indirectly tied to 20M or so dead) and one of the greatest in
Deng (his deciisions raised more people out of poverty at a faster rate than
any other man, ever).

Two great reads:  "Mao, the untold story" and "The World is Flat."

73/jeff/ac0c