Re: [Amps] LK500ZB (2 x 3-500Z), most likely cause of zap/arc?

To: "Carl Clawson" <carlclawson@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK500ZB (2 x 3-500Z), most likely cause of zap/arc?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:02:59 -0400
Glad you found it. The LK-500's arent prone to parasitics unless the
resistors radically changed value. My ZC has been through countless hours of
contesting and DXing since 1986 and still has original tubes and
suppressors. No voodoo nonsense required.  Some of those Teflon disc caps
just cant handle RF current well and I replaced mine with a pair of ceramic
doorknobs around 87-88.

Dust around HV is always a problem. The 3-500 is prone to gas and should get
some bright red workouts on a regular basis. Having some glass (and a few
external anode) tubes unused for many months or years is not conducive to
long life.

Carl
KM1H