Re: [Amps] Teflon dielectric vraiable caps.. another thought.

To: Jim.thom@telus.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Teflon dielectric vraiable caps.. another thought.
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:09:40 EDT

What a concept!  pF AND voltage in a spray can.

I like it!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 3/17/2010 8:55:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time,

Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:51:14 -0600
From: John Lyles  <jtml@losalamos.com>
Subject: [Amps] Teflon dielectric variable  capacitor

Carel
I am pleased that you checked into this and did the  calculations. As you
see, the smaller the air gap, the worst off it can  become. Its almost
better to have a big air gap betwen a big slab of PTFE  or use only air.
This effect, by the way, is also a real pain when  terminating HV cables,
where the outer shield in a coax cable peels away  from the inner
insulation. It is often called the 'triple point' where you  have a thin
point of air next to insulation, with a conductor adjacent.  This is
usually where cables will eventually breakdown if the stress is  high
enough. A solution there is to use a semiconducting tape or goo that
fills the area. Another solution is to use RTV compounds to pot the
small gap, sealing it off from atmosphere. This needs to be done in
vacuum to remove air pockets.

But this doesn't help in your quest  for a capacitor that is variable.
I recommend sticking with air only, or if  adding a dielectric, then seal
it off  completely.

73
John
K5PRO

##  here's  another  thought.    Back in 1977, a buddy across town tried
gamma   matching his  50' tower on 160m.  It worked, but arced with
>  80 watts !     I  had a new can of this stuff  ..called  'GE HV  acrylic
plastic spray' .      I  doused his air variable at the base of the tower
with it,
and once  dry.. no more arcing.. even with 120 w.   I took my amp  over
there  2 x weeks later.. and stuffed 1100w into it.... no arcing  !

## another friend had   a bad load cap in his  FL-2100b  amp.  The
plates  would touch and rub...  only  in one narrow range.   I doused
it  with the  GE  spray bomb... and he never had a problem  with  it
again.  And that's  with the plates  still rubbing  together  !

##  No LCR meter's back then..  so no clue  how the CLEAR
HV spray  affected the min /max C.   Does GE  still make this
stuff?    I used it on yagi's, tubular  gamma  match's, all sorts
of DC HV stuff, and all sorts of HV RF  stuff.   I'd love to get
a couple more cans of this stuff.   Regular  garden variety
Acrylic plastic, in spray bombs.. is NOT the  same as the GE
HV version.

##  Having several LCR meter's, hi  pot tester, etc,  it would be
a fun experiment, to see if the min /max  C is affected.. and by how
much.. on everything from narrow spaced  broadcast variables [what's
used in the 2100-B]  to  wider spaced  TX types.   I'd love to know what
the  before and  after  Hi-pot  test results are.

##  If GE   doesn't make it, does anybody else ??  I swore by it..at the
time...  and never saw it since.   NO  AIR between  plastic spray  and
the  metal plates.    I quickly doused the stator,  rotor, shaft, everything
BUT the rotor  moving contact... that was  taped off.

later........ Jim   VE7RF
capacitor