[Amps] Good Engineering.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Good Engineering.
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 05:29:56 -0700
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:13:26 -0700
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good engineering

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:55:33 -0700, "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
wrote:

>##  Bill , got any idea what 3 x NEW  EIMAC  3CPX-800A7's
>cost these days? ##That's the tube line up used in
>the HF-2500E.. really >smart.

I suspect that was a marketing decision, not an engineering one. Some
hams want only Eimac tubes and will not buy anything else. especially
in an amp that costs an arm and a leg like that one does.

###  RF parts list Eimac as being the only ones that even make a
3CPX-800A7  [3.6 kv rated]  Eimac came out with a bulletin, urging
all commercial FM stations that use 3CX-800A7's.. to switch to the
higher vdc pulse rated versions.

##  chinese 8877's are abt $550.00    For $100.00  more, you can buy
a real tube.  All  my tubes can be rebuilt. I don't buy throwaways...
except for 3-500Z's.

>The 12 ga wireroller inductor,used in the 10 kw palstar ant tuner is a joke,
>along with SO-239's,and the mickey mouse balun on the INPUT
>of the tuner.. which will explode.

Really? I had a Palstar 5 kW tuner for a couple of years and it worked
fine. Nothing burned, nothing melted, nothing exploded. Of course, I
was running ONLY 1500 watts.  :-)

##  The original palstar tuners used real edge wound ribbon rollers.
Then they went cheap, and now use 12 ga tinned wire.  If Palstar
rated your tuner for 5 kw.... do you  think it would handle 5 kw....
it won't.  And their 10 kw tuner won't handle 10 kw. I already
posted the pix of blown up palstar input balun on the other group.

##  If palstar or anybody else wants to advertise products as
rated to handle XXX watts,  they should handle that.   10 x yrs
ago, I was going to buy a Mosely PRO-96 yagi.... rated for '5kw'.
Turns out, the '5kw' rating was INPUT power to the amp. They
also assumed 60% tank eff = 3 kw out.   Then they also assumed
a 20%  duty cycle on SSB !   20% of 3 kw = 600 w CCS CXR.
'Engineer' at Mosely explains this all to me in great detail. He tells
me the mosely  will handle 600 w RTTY... but only in the low swr portion
of each band !   So inside of 15 mins, it went from 5 kw... down to 600w.
A buddy literally set his Mosely on fire, when on 20m ssb one day.  A neighbour
pounded on his door, telling the ham that it was raining down burning glop,
onto his roof. [ Henry 4 k]      So no Mosely for Jim.

But it was RTTY.

##  yeah,  well  don't  run 1.5 kw  RTTY  with an Ameritron AL-1200/1500 on
160m.  You will melt it.  Now rauch claims they 'tested' it in the lab with a
1.5 kw
cxr on 160m, and it was fine.... but field reports came in after the fact,
complaining
of melted coils, etc.  Apparently, they thought no ham would run RTTY on 160m !

Later........ Jim   VE7RF

73, Bill W6WRT