[Amps] Fwd: help with decision on ncl-2000

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Fwd: help with decision on ncl-2000
From: jim feldman <mtnredhed@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 16:22:54 -0700
Thanks for the input Carl.  I had a few follow up questions if you don't
mind.

>> Adding individual bias circuit may be an option, but
>
>> raises the cost.
>>

> See above. One pot, resistor and bypass cap..

Showing my ignorance...so the grid bias is fed through a choke and then
"added" with the exciter signal.  It's then split off to each grid feeding
through a 2.7ohm resistor.  Are we replacing R45 and R46 with a pot and a
fixed resistor of the same value or are we making some kind of a voltage
divider for one feed?  If so, I can't think where we want a bypass cap.
Obviously I'm in the weeds here.

> For the same power plus 160M and WARC find a LK-500ZC. I havent been able
> to kill mine. Id stay away from the AL-1200 due to tube cost and a rumor (so
> far) that the 3CX1200 series are being discontinued.

Got an ebay alert set up for that amp now

> I converted a 2000 for George Badger at Svetlana years ago using their
> 4CX400A. Except for filaments (run them in series) and socket its plug and
> play and much more rugged than the 8122. Better production tolerance
> resulting in minimal bias tolerance range also.  Others have gone with a
> single 3CX/3CPX800A7 as its the same socket.

Just so I understand ( in the case of the 3cpx800a7), I'd be converting from
a grid driven tetrode to a grounded grid/cathode driven triode?  The reason
I ask is that even the 4cx400's are getting hard to find, and with a single
tube, I'd also not have the matching issue.

> Another good amp is an Alpha 76 3 holer with good or bad tubes as the
> prices are way down. Run the good tubes until they die and then go with a
> pair of 3CPX800A7 pulls.

It seems that there was a 2 hole version too.  Again, I've got a ebay search
running, and now that ham fest season has started I'll keep a close eye out
for those two amps.

Thanks
jim W6JMF