Re: [Amps] Hmmmm...Legal limit boiled the oil in the cantena

To: <donroden@hiwaay.net>, <amps@contesting.com>, "Bill Fuqua" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hmmmm...Legal limit boiled the oil in the cantena
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:30:05 -0400

> At 11:09 PM 4/5/2010 -0400, donroden@hiwaay.net wrote:
>>peanut compared to some of the 11 METER MOBILE amps I have seen
>>
>>How bout a 4CX15,000 powered by four 200 amp alternators in a Suburba
>>with a big block 454.
>

>      I  should be able to drive that amplifier with my VW Beetle engine.
> It should only take about 80 HP where is all that power going from
> the 454 bigblock with nitrous oxide injection? A hundred hp would be
> a little less than 75kW.
>
> Sounds stupid to me.
>
> 73
> Bill wa4lav

A cranks snout is its weakest link and its not designed to be pulled on by a
bank of monster alternators. I dont know if the CBers are using forged or
cast cranks either but they do break.

Nitrous is stupid but probably the only viable option fo a 10 second run. If
done right it wont destroy the pistons. A supercharger would be safer in the
long run but thats in operation all the time.

Carl
KM1H