[Amps] line length magic

To: amps list <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] line length magic
From: "herzog@frontiernet.net@frontiernet.net" <herzog@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:26:28 -0400
RE:I think that Collins was trying to reduce the total IM products from
the
30S1/KWM2 system when they recommended a specific length interconnect
cable
for the RF input to the amp. They make mention of the concern for the
phase
of the signal at the plate of the driver and the phase of the signal at
the
plate of the amp. I am guessing that the attempt was to have some amount
of
cancellation of the total IM products by this.

73
Gary  K4FMX
Herzog says: I have noted that a foot of cable could make a total
difference for a 4 MHz signal.  Scope viewing, and etc, showed the
difference was in the presence of higher frequency harmonics affection
the tube input.
  The use of a vector impedance meter showed and confirmed the resonance
at high freq; and how he coax length was changing it. I gave up, and
just used swamping resistors,like everyone else does.  K2LB