Re: [Amps] Tuned inputs

To: Jim Thomson <Jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuned inputs
From: Dave White <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:47:59 +0100
I tried one of those Henry input chokes on my 3CX3000 amp and although it held
SWR below 2:1 the transceiver's auto ATU was never happy with it and had a
nasty habit of whirring away for minutes at a time.  Although I didn't have the
kit to prove it I suspect that linearity was impacted too.

The amp is a pi-L circuit with two big rollercoasters to apart from the plate
choke series resonance at about 12MHz it should have had pretty much continuous
coverage on 1.5 to 30MHz, hence the interest in a broadband match.

I eventually fronted the input with a series of tuned pi input circuits and now
things seem to work more as they should.

Dave G0OIL