Re: [Amps] 160m mosfet linear amplifier problem with ferrite cores

To: Boye Christensen <oz7c@cool.dk>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 160m mosfet linear amplifier problem with ferrite cores
From: sasas asasas <tzitzikas_ee@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:50:53 -0700 (PDT)
hi. The manufacturer and another radio amateur claim that this linear amplifier
which they have constructed works perfectly and stable, and gives 400w minimum
r.f power at output stage (with 110vdc power supply-13A the current). i don't
know spice simulation.
The linear which i have construct gave to the output stage (at 50hm dummy load)
190w r.f power with perfect modulation with 106vdc power supply. the current in
this test was 6A.
The problem witch i am trying to solve is to find why my linear gives only
190watt at the same voltage, and why every time i was trying to increase the
input r.f power, up to 4 watts, the circuit get into oscillation and the
ferrite broken. Something goes wrong but i can't find what exactly.
The only difference between my amplifier and the prototype is that i use 6
ferrite beads at output transformer and the designer of the prototype uses only
4, as you can see in photos.
The other difference is that i am using Siliconix IRFP360 fets and the designer
of prototype using International Rectifier fets. Moreover his operate frequency
is 1650khz and my operation frequency is 1431khz. So i worry if i must use
another ferrite material of 43, something like 77 material.
What do you think?