Re: [Amps] Thinking out loud

To: 'Amps reflector' <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Thinking out loud
From: Carl Clawson <carlclawson@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:12:31 -0700
Vic,

I run a pair of grid-driven 813s, actually a number of pairs. See the
"single band kilowatt" in ARRL handbooks from the 60's, may also be there in
late `50s. Plus, the article's available to members on the web site.

I use option 3, and my "something else" was nothing for a long time. I do
keep an eye on the meters and can tell right away if I've forgotten to turn
my drive down. I suspect that if I put a brick on the key at 100 W,
something in my input network would fry long before the 813s -- they're hard
to kill. An excellent tube choice for the absent-minded.

Recently I added a 6 dB pad on the input, so it drives in class C with 40 or
50 W. This was to keep my exciter power away from the threshold where the
Elecraft K3 switches to its 100 W final amp, which made the power adjustment
too fiddly. You could do that to limit the input, but make it more like 8 or
9 dB. Drive will undoubtedly depend on the band so set it for the highest
drive you'll need and you'll never go dangerously far over. I used Caddock
MP9100 series resistors on a nice hunk of surplus heat sink.

Another option would be to arrange a fixed DC bias to go to the ALC on the
exciter when the amp is enabled.

73, Carl WS7L