Re: [Amps] stereo to mono

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] stereo to mono
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 09:29:32 -0500
<<<We HAMS have not been building high level modulated A.M. transmitters for
many years (A.M. transmissions suffer from heterodyne interference
which becomes horrific in a
crowded HAM band) so I recommend you refer to HAM handbooks dated from
the late 1940s to 1970 or so
for more information about high level modulated transmitters.>>>

Ron,

You could not be more wrong.  Homebrewing high level plate modulated
AM rigs is alive and well.

In fact, it is becoming more popular.  You obviously are unaware of
this development perhaps because you do not read the right journal and
do not visit the websites dedicated to AM.

one of the many websites dedicated to AM.  http://amfone.net is a good
place to start.

You are correct with regard to the old handbooks, which are a valuable
resource among AMers, especially the ones published before WW2.

There is also growing interest in Class E AM, with solid state rigs.
K7DYY makes and sells a 300 w. kit solid state AM rig.  AM is
exceedingly enjoyable and I invite you to give it a try.  All you need
to start with is any transceiver that includes it as a mode.

73

Rob
K5UJ