Re: [Amps] Curved or straight chimney

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Curved or straight chimney
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 12:34:50 -0400

On 7/2/2010 10:41 AM, Gene wrote:
> I remember blowing a candle out behind a beaker or glass as the air follows
> around the curve.  With sufficient air flow I would think the same principle
> would apply to a tube with air flowing up from the base, the air would
> follow the curve of the glass envelope.

The air should pretty much follow the curve of the tube if the chimney
is properly designed to turn the upward flow into one that curves around
the top of the tube.  The air close to the tube will tend to follow the
shape of the tube with that farther out being carried along to some
extent. As you move out that effect diminishes rapidly into just a
vertical flow.  The curve of the chimney only needs to be enough to
convince that air to make the turn at the top of the tube. At the point
where the flows meet the transverse flow is turned into a vertical flow
again.  I would assume at this point the flow becomes quite turbulent.

However as Carl noted a good muffin fan (or fans) blowing onto a pair of
tubes (no chimneys) with transverse flow does a pretty good job of
cooling.  I don't know how well this cools the tube pin seals at the
socket.  It must do a reasonable job with all the SB220s out there.

73

Roger (K8RI)