Re: [Amps] parasitic suppressor voodoo

To: amps@contesting.com, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] parasitic suppressor voodoo
From: DAVE WHITE <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:34:19 +0000 (GMT)
On a 2 times 4-1000A amp (5.5kv, grounded grid, cathode driven) I used two
separate parasitic suppressors, each with 3 paralleled 50 ohm carbon resistors
inside a 15mm diamater two-turn coil of 2mm copper wire over about 10mm
length.  The amp has worked flawlessly (80 thru 10m) for many years.

If yours is a low band amp, you could probably make REALLY certain by
increasing the number of turns on the coil.  Initially with four turns the
resistors smoked a little on 10m.   I guessed "too much L".  There was no
science to building these suppressors - it was a case of looking at the W6SAI
"Radio Handbook" and seeing if it worked.  Voodoo?  Maybe.

I didn't try the amp without parasitic chokes but it seemed to work and "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it"....

Hope this helps
Dave G0OIL