[Amps] RJ1A relays question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RJ1A relays question
From: "Phil & Debbie Salas" <dpsalas@tx.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:55:03 -0500
"I plan on using the RJ1A relay within a masthead box with pre-amp. I have a
question regarding the RJ1A relay itself. I have some on test on the bench
and I'm quite surprised at just how hot they get.
I've now look at four of them and they are all the same, i.e. they get darn
hot... not to hot to touch, but not far of being uncomfortable. They are
marked as 26v operation and I'm using 24v so its not to many volts."

At 24VDC the coil is dissipating about 1.65 watts (the coil is about 350
ohms).  The coil is in a ceramic body with no real good way to transfer the
heat to a heatsink unless you have a metal mouinting bracket.  But typically
folks use a gromett to mount the vacuum relay to its mounting bracket, so
there is no way to transfer heat.  It makes sense that the relay will get
hot when enabled continuously.  Put 24VDC across a 360 ohm 2-5 watt resistor
and see how hot it gets.

Phil - AD5X